Breakfast is important. In my case, I drink a smoothie every day.
There was a point where I thought skipping breakfast would help me lose weight. It’s actually the opposite effect. I’ll be referencing this article to prove my point. Skipping breakfast can ensure you’ll set yourself up for failure with other meals that day. When you’re so hungry by the middle of the day, you’re more likely to make bad food choices. Or eat way too much!
Choosing the right foods at breakfast can make all the difference in the world. The above-linked article references that you want to focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These items help fill you up but don’t bring a ton of calories along with them.
Here are some great ideas for breakfast that will certainly fill you up:
- 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2lf cup of low-fat milk, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of walnuts has only 307 calories total
- Two multi-grain waffles, with 1 cup of blueberries, 3 tablespoons of light syrup, and 1 cup of plain low-fat yogurt have about 450 calories total
This is the recipe for my favourite smoothie. You can change it, remove things, add things – but I’ve found smoothies to be my favourite way to start the day.
- 1 cup frozen berries (I like berry blends – Costco sells a very affordable one)
- 1 cup almond milk (I use the Organic Almond Milk also found at Costco)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Coconut Activia yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Costco sells theirs for $40)
- A bit of oatmeal (to your liking)
- A few chocolate chips
- Top up with frozen spinach (I buy fresh spinach and throw in the freezer so it’ll last longer)
- Fill empty spaces with water
Need an awesome blender? I can’t say enough about our Ninja! We’ve had it for 2 ½ years. I use it almost every day and it’s never faltered. It comes with a large blending container, but also individual sized cups that I use for my smoothie each day. I can blend it right in the cup and take it to go.
Get moving because you’ll feel better than you did yesterday!